Frequently Asked Questions

Are dietitian or therapist services covered by OHIP/MSP or insurance plans?

Private practice dietitian and therapist services are not currently covered by OHIP or MSP. However, most insurance companies do cover Registered Dietitian services and/or Registered Clinical Counsellor or Registered Psychotherapist services through health benefit plans. Check with your insurance company if you are unsure about your coverage.

Our Dietitians are currently registered as a dietitian with the College of Dietitians of Ontario and the College of Dietitians of British Colombia. Regulations allow them to support clients from other Canadian provinces such as Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. However, make sure to ask your insurance company if your coverage will still apply if you are from a province other than Ontario or British Colombia.

Our Therapists are Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors, Registered Social Workers with the British Columbia College of Social Wrokers, and/or Registered Psychotherapists with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario. If you live in British Columbia, make sure you check with your extended health benefits plan to see if Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC), Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (RMFT) or Registered Social Workers (RSW) are covered. If you live in Ontario, make sure you check with your extended health benefits plan to see if Registered Psychotherapist (RP) or Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (RMFT) is covered. 

Registered Dietitians are authorized medical practitioners recognized by the Canada Revenue Agency.  If you pay out of pocket for your dietitian services, you can claim these expenses as medical expense for tax credit purposes.

Do I need a doctors referral to see a Dietitian/Therapist?

Though doctor’s referrals are accepted, a referral is not required to book an appointment.  With your permission, our Dietitians/Therapists can collaborate with your doctor, or any other health professional to ensure everyone is working as a team so you receive the best overall care.

What is the difference between a "Dietitian" and a "Nutritionist"?

In Canada, Registered Dietitian (RD) is a protected title, which means that only individuals registered with a provincial regulatory body can call themselves a dietitian. Dietitians are regulated health professionals, just like doctors and nurses. In Ontario, the provincial regulatory body is the College of Dietitians of Ontario. The term Nutritionist can be used by anyone in Ontario with or without any formal education or training.

Dietitians are extensively educated and trained before they can register with a provincial regulatory body. They must complete an accredited undergraduate degree in nutrition, an accredited dietetic internship program AND complete the Canadian Dietetics Registration Exam. Some also complete Masters and/or Doctorate programs.

Click Here for more information.

How is payment accepted?

Credit cards or e-transfers are accepted as methods of payment. After payment is processed a receipt will be issued to you which you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement (if applicable) or keep in your records for medical expense tax credits.